So you’ve decide to go ahead and buy a home… now you need to decide if you should work with a home buyer’s agent. Why? Because not all real estate agents are buyer’s agents, and not all agents are seller’s agents either. In this article I’ll give you some things to think about as well as 10 good questions to ask your home buyer’s agent.
Buying a home isn’t just a big decision, it’s a huge decision… In fact it’s probably one of the most important decisions you will ever make. That’s why I believe it’s in your best interest to interview different agents and do your due-diligence to make sure you choose a good home buyer’s agent.
Choosing an experienced home buyer’s agent can mean the difference of a successful (and enjoyable) process and frustration. With so much on the line, it just make sense to work with a real estate agent who understands the home buying process inside and out?
The number one most important thing you can do when buying a home is prepare yourself. If you’re like the other 79% of today’s home buyers, you’ve already started your home search online. The key to a great real estate experience is educating yourself so you understanding the process as well.
The more you understand about the buying process- the less stress you’ll have- and the fewer hassles you’re likely to encounter.
When buying a home, the first word that pops into your head probably isn’t “fun.” Even so, I think the home buying process should be fun, as well as exciting. This is another reason you should interview agents, just to make sure you enjoy spending time with the agent you choose.
Benefits Of Working With A Home Buyer’s Agent.
- Understanding the home buying process from start to finish (especially First Time Home Buyers)
- Guidance choosing the right mortgage lender and getting pre-approved for a home loan.
- Understanding different home loan programs.
- Understanding the Truth In Lending Statement (break-down of the cost of your loan).
- Deciding which neighborhoods would best meet your needs. (schools, employmnet, shopping, VA, hospitals, etc.)
- Understanding fair market values per neighborhood and home.
- Identify potential problem areas with the home (such as moisture, rot, pests, heating sys., etc.) and recommend inspections for questionable areas.
The average buyer looks at 10 homes before deciding on a home. The average “pre-look” time before contacting a buyer’s agent is about 12 weeks.
10 Good Questions For Your Home Buyer’s Agent
As I mentioned above, here are some very good questions to ask the agent you’re interviewing for house hunting job.
- How long have you been licensed?
- Do you work in real estate full time or part time?
- Do you work with buyers and sellers? Which do you prefer to work with more?
- How well do you know the market in the neighborhood I am interested in?
- Do you have references or testimonials from you past home buyer clients?
- Are you able and willing to help me with pre-foreclosures, bank-owned properties, for sale by owner homes, and short sale listings? Will you call FSBO’s if I find one I’m interested in?
- How often can I expect to receive properties listings from you, and how? (email, etc.)
- How do you represent and negotiate for your buyers to help them get the best price and terms?
- Do you have a written commitment to service?
- Do you use a buyer / broker agreement? What is the term?
Ready For That Interview?
Are you ready to take the next step towards becoming a homeowner? Choosing a home buyer’s agent isn’t a “one size fits all” process. I’m ready to listen to your home buying needs and wants. Then if we’re a good fit for each other, we’ll work up a plan that will help you find the house that meets all of your needs and most (if not all) of your wants as well.
So what can you expect if you choose me as your buyer’s agent?
- 20+ Years Of Experience. I have been in real estate most of my adult life and have experience selling foreclosures, short sales, bank owned, and FSBO properties.
- Full Time Attention: As your full time buyer’s agent, I will give your home search the attention it requires to see it through to the end.
- Quick Honest Answers: I understand that you probably want information very quickly, so I strive to provide fast answers and immediate solutions. I will not beat around the bush or sugar coat the facts. I believe in brutal, but professional honesty.
- Clear Direction: Whether we’re talking about contract terms or sale contingencies, I provide a clear direction and lay out the road map so you won’t be left guessing. I will provide solid professional advice and won’t leave you trying to figure things out on your own.
- Choice And Options: Home buyer’s need to know they do have options. As your buyer’s agent I will make sure you know what your options are and how each one might affect you.
- Exceptional Service: My goal is to provide exceptional service and an enjoyable home buying experience. My clients often times become friends by the end. I stay up to speed on the latest neighborhood real estate activity in Douglas county. You can sign up for my monthly newsletter called Troy’s Scoop On Real Estate.
- Neighborhood Knowledge: Because I’m always diving into real estate stats and trends, I am able to show you neighborhood trends in the neighborhoods you are interested in.
- Professional Input: I understand that there are times when home buyers just need some advice and direction. I will provide a clear, concise direction along with unbiased advice that will allow you to make a more informed decision. Whether we’re looking at homes, loan programs, or negotiating the terms of an offer, I will point out the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Sympathetic Listener: I am happy to say that many of my home buying clients end up becoming my friends. I think that’s probably because I am sympathetic to my client’s needs. I do, however provide that much-needed steadiness for my buyers so they have solid real estate advice, a real professionals opinion, and momentum to keep going when they need it.
I hope this information helps you understand the importance of working with a home buyer’s agent who understands the process.
Troy Schuyler – Keller Williams Realty Umpqua Valley – Roseburg OR. 541-643-1131